Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Curry Yup Yup with Bust 'Em Up Shut!


This is an odd name for a dish, I know. But this is what Matt and Justin call it, and it has become my recipes name. Basically it's a Chicken Coconut Curry. It's a fast, easy recipe that is Oh, So Delicious!! This recipe seems to be a favorite in my house, not just with Matt and I but everyone that eats it. I served it at a girls night and, even though it was SPICY, I got 4 requests for the recipe. Whenever I make this, all of a sudden I have more and more dinner guests!! Just last Saturday, I made this and all of a sudden there were 7 for dinner when I only planned on 4!! I think I cooked this about 5-7 times before I perfected it. And now I don't dare change a thing!! I might be lynched!!

This recipe is one that I made to be very simple and altered it so that you don't waste food. It calls for, what I like to call a 1-1-1 ratio. Basically it's one of everything. I mean what are you going to do with half a can of coconut milk??? So I use the whole can and based the recipe on that. 

If you have a mandolin slicer use it! This is a great recipe for it. What I do is slice the bell peppers and onions and then slice the rings in half to give you some nice strips of pepper and onion. You, however, can do what you like!

Chicken Coconut Curry
Serves 6           30 Minute Meal              10 min. prep, 20 min. cook

Ingredients:
Golden Curry (Found in the International Aisle) Your preferred hot level. A pic below.
1 package chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
2 tbls. vegetable oil or peanut oil (peanut oil is great in Asian dishes!)
Salt and pepper
1 onion, halved then sliced
1 green bell pepper, halved then sliced
1 red bell pepper, halved then sliced
1 can coconut milk (International Aisle) A pic below of the brand I use. 
1 can bamboo shoots, sliced to match stick size (International Aisle)
1 cup chicken stock
2 tbls. lime juice
Cilantro, roughly chopped
Any spicy peppers you want, I like it hot so I use two Serrano Chiles and a Habanero!! Caliente!!

Cooking: 
1. Start your rice. It should be done by the time your dish is. I use 1/2 cups uncooked white rice to have enough for 6 servings. 
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the chicken. Salt and pepper it. Once the chicken is mostly cooked through add the curry cubes. There are 5 segments in a box. I use 3 for this recipe. If you would like to double, just use the whole box. No need to open another. It will work out!
3. Add the coconut milk, lime juice and chicken broth. Mix until the curry cubes are dissolved. Bring the liquids up to a boil, then lower to a simmer. This will mix and thicken the sauce. 
4. Add the peppers, onions and bamboo shoots and mix well. When the onions are just translucent and the peppers are firm but cooked your ready to eat. Serve over rice, top with some cilantro and ENJOY!!


Here's a picture off of Facebook that I took forever ago. From now on I am going to start using my real camera and try to make the dishes look pretty before taking the picture. Ha! I don't even have these dishes anymore. That's how old it is!! Still, gives you an idea of what to expect. 

 

Coconut Milk



No comments:

Post a Comment