Monday, November 12, 2012

Taco Tuesday with a Twist!!

So tomorrow it Tuesday, Taco Tuesday! Well, it can get a little boring to cook the same ole ground beef/turkey week after week but it's just SO EASY after a long day at work. Well, I have a solution!! Recently Knorr, best known for their soup bases has come out with Rice Sides. I am always interested in trying new, easy ways to spice things up so I tried the Rice Sides. They were alright, but for a cheap ($1.59 for a packet), easy weekday meal they fit just right. Nothing to write home about though.

Well, I was shopping one day and decided to check out other Knorr products. I had steak in my cart already along with other shopping items and I was just checking them out thinking what can I serve with this steak besides salad, a total stand by in our house. I saw that they came out with a Steak Fajitas Rice Sides. Thought, hey that might work. Grabbed it, put it in the cart and come steak night, totally forgot about it!

So anyways, on the back of the bag there is a recipe called "Fajita Chili Con Carne". It basically is ground beef, onion and a few cans of things thrown together. Totally recipe takes about 20 minutes start to finish! This is a great alternate recipe for basic tacos and a great way to use these sides! I did make a few minor changes/additions to the recipe.

Knorr Steak Fajitas Rice Sides

This recipe is cheap, easy and there will be leftovers for lunch! Great for you Bachelors!! Also, for camping, this is a great recipe. One pot cooking is the best when camping and this was hot, tasty and easy to do while camping because you don't have to use that much cooler space. Only the meat needs to be refrigerated (I didn't add the cheese or sour cream while camping). We went camping last weekend and I made this one night. I got a fist pump from the boys when they found out that is what we were having! WAY, WAY, WAY better than hamburger helper I might add! That stuff just feels way to fake, like cheese food, blech! (I know some of you will disagree with that and that is fine)

Fajita Chili Con Carne:
20 Minute Meal!!            Serves 4-6                  Budget Friendly (Approx. $10-12)

Ingredients:
1 package 93% ground beef or lean turkey
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, diced
1 package Knorr Rice Sides, Steak Fajitas Flavor
1 can diced tomatos, undrained
1 can red kidney beans, rinsed
1 can chicken broth
Cheddar Cheese, Sour Cream and Green Onions to top with

Follow the recipe on the back, it's that simple. In step 1. add garlic at the last minute.
Instead of water I use chicken stock. Other then that, I followed the recipe on the back. Oh and salt and pepper of course!!

No comments:

Post a Comment