Thursday, January 16, 2014

Hearty Tomato Basil Soup

I absolutely LOVE tomato soup! I'm not even talking about gourmet versions or anything, straight up Campbells Tomato Soup!! Well, I've been making soups on the weekend that I can take in to work and have a cup of with my salads. I made this one last weekend and it is SO DELICIOUS!! It's really ridiculous how good this soup is!! Here's the recipe!

Hearty Tomato Basil Soup
10 min. prep, 50 minute cook time                10 Bowls, more cups           About $10



Ingredients:
6 tbls. butter
1 yellow onion, diced
2 carrots, thinly sliced
2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
3-5 cloves garlic, minced (You decide, I used 5!!)
36 oz. tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 tbls. fresh basil, chopped
1 tbls. fresh oregano, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups milk or heavy whipping cream (I use milk)

In a large stock pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook until very tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the tomato sauce, chicken broth, basil and oregano. Bring to boil and then turn down.

Here is where it could get complicated. Do you have an immersion blender? If so you'll want to use it here. If you just have a blender that's fine, this just could get messy. You need to blend all the ingredients so that no chunks remain. Everything should be one consistency.

Once everything is blended, add in the can of tomatoes and the milk. Simmer another 10 minutes and serve.

1 comment:

  1. I am going to make this on Monday!!!-Brenna

    ReplyDelete